Saturday, November 29, 2008

Diagonal Thinking?

So, I was was surfing the web, having a read of other people’s blogs to see if I could find anything of interest. I found Dave Trott's blog, which was very interesting, and I found the blog Scamp and then I found this blog called 'The forum for junior ad creatives' and I came across a post about the IPA's Diagonal Thinking test.

What is diagonal thinking I hear you cry? Well, apparently it's the ability to switch effortlessly between linear, logical thought process to lateral, creative ones and it seems to be the defining characteristics of people who do well in the advertising industry. According to the IPA, only 10% of the population can think diagonally. And if you score more than 90% in the test, you can print off an IPA certificate, which, says IPA director general Hamish Pringle, you can then attach to your CV as proof of your talent, which will become your "passport to adland".

I'm not going to lie I was intrigued. I wanted to take the test but then, what if I failed? I have enough worries about University and Advertising as it is. Is this what I’m supposed to be doing? What if I never get a job? Am I actually good at this? And if I fail this test should I just cry in a corner somewhere and give up on advertising totally? I have these thoughts sometimes but I generally just scrunch them all up in a ball and chuck them out the window. I am good at this and I know that I am going to succeed. Even if I do fail the test it doesn’t matter, it’s just a silly test on the Internet and it probably doesn’t mean anything at all. I shall take the test. If I succeed that’s fantastic, if I fail I shall never tell a soul that I even took the test and then still become über successful in advertising and prove everyone wrong including that silly little test. Ha!

So I did the test, and it turns out I am a diagonal thinker. Thank god for that. But what a horrid little test to make me worry and doubt myself. Can this kind of thing really be measured in a test? If you want to worry and panic and doubt yourself, why not try the test now www.diagonalthinking.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment